Friday, January 22, 2010

View From The Sideline - Week 2


I first injured my knee as a senior in high school in our first game at the USA national tournament in Palo Alto, California. Watching my team, Gonzaga College High School, compete in the tournament without me was very frustrating, and it was my first experience watching rugby from the sidelines. We were fresh off our second straight Mid-Atlantic championship and trying to build on our 6th place finish in the tournament the year before. We ultimately finished 7th in the nation that year, and my high school rugby career was over. Following graduation, I was excited to get to Wake Forest to begin my college rugby career.

After three knee surgeries during my college career and countless hours of physical therapy, I find myself in an all-too-familiar situation-standing on the sidelines watching my teammates compete for a spot in the postseason. In the first game I played for Wake this fall, I made a cut and tore my acl for the third time, ending my Wake Forest rugby playing career.

When I tore my acl during my freshman year, I was unsure what the future would hold and how it would impact my playing career. I worked hard to get back to playing after my acl reconstruction, but I hit a snag and had to get another knee surgery during sophomore year to removes meniscus in the same knee. After being out of action and watching from the sidelines for my entire sophomore year, I finally returned to the field for the fall season of my junior year. In my second game back, I reinjured the same knee, but I was only out of action for 6 weeks this time. The dawn of the 2008 spring season was greeted with much anticipation; we had moved up from Division III to Division II, and we would be facing much tougher competition than we had seen my previous 2 years at Wake. It was sure to be a tough season, but we had a very solid team capable of playing at a high level.

Finally healthy, I was back on the field with my teammates at inside center. We had a stellar season in our debut in Division II rugby, advancing to the South Championship game where we suffered a disappointing loss to a strong East Carolina team. I can honestly say that that 2008 season was my proudest as a Wake Rugby player, and it was the closest thing to an injury-free season I had in my college career. (The only injury I suffered that season was a broken nose in our game against NC State, and it only kept me out of action for 5 minutes or so when the bleeding finally stopped.) Reflecting on all the injuries I have had and all the games that I have had to watch from the sideline, I’m very thankful for the games that I was able to play in, especially that 2008 season.

Even though I can't play, I am very excited for this season in the Carolinas League. After a disappointing 2009 league season in which we played well but ultimately missed the playoffs, we’re looking to replicate the success we had two years ago and get back into the postseason. I see a lot of potential for our team to succeed in the new league, and despite injuries to a few very good rugby players, I know we have sufficient talent to win games and move on to postseason play. Our first test comes tomorrow against South Carolina. Go Deacs.

Mike Wills is a senior center whose Wake rugby career ended prematurely when he tore his ACL in October. Mike will be writing a weekly blog giving his perspective on the team as it competes in the inaugural season of the Carolinas Rugby League.

No comments: